zondag 15 juli 2012

Week 2


I am far into my second week in Accra now and time seems to be flying.
I divide my time between the Lifeline project in Agbogbloshie and the market areas across town. When I go to the market areas I visit young female migrants and interview them about their reasons for migration, their life here in Accra and their future prospects. During such an interview I am usually surrounded by ten to thirty other girls and females who are curious about my presence in their midst.


Sometimes I take a child on my lap to give them some extra attention, and because I miss my nieces so much…



My fellow student Keetie also joined me one day to one of the market areas.




When I stay on the Lifeline project I usually work on my computer, typing out the interviews, in the morning and in the afternoon and evening I join the girls who finished their class and enjoy some leisure time playing, singing and dancing. I have gained two small sisters here who I wish I could bring back home with me. They are 12 years old, the youngest in the project, and one of them has lived her whole life on the streets of Accra. She has no idea where she came from. When I sit outside in the afternoon, this girl runs up to me and gives me the biggest hug you can imagine. 


I will post some photos and more information on the Lifeline project in a next post. The pictures below here illustrate the life that goes on behind the gates of Lifeline. Agbogbloshie is a slum area on the outskirts of Accra. Some describe this place as Sodom and Gomorra. But don’t worry, I feel quite safe here!





Until next time!

1 opmerking:

  1. fijn dat het zo goed gaat, Em, en je klinkt heel productief xxxxx ook van de nieces

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen